Tuesday, May 3, 2016

I'm Ghana Make It Count

So, May 1st was the other day. Big deal right? Well yeah. My alarm woke me up that beautiful Sunday morning, and when I looked at my phone to turn it off, my heart dropped. I obviously knew a new month was approaching as April came to an end, but actually seeing the date made it a reality and sent me into a panic.

May 1st. Exactly one month until my flight home. May 2nd. Exactly one month until I land in Georgia. May 3rd. Exactly one month until I wake up in my bed at home in good ole Douglasville, Georgia, instead of waking up in my dorm room at the University of Ghana.

One month until life supposedly returns to “normal”. One month until I see family and friends whom I have missed so dearly. One month until I can get a long awaited meal from Chickfila (other than people, this is definitely what I've missed the most from home lol).

While one month may seem like a long time to those who are back home waiting for my return, for me it definitely seems to not be long enough. With only one month left in Ghana (a country that went from just being another place on a map to being a country where a piece of my heart will remain forever), I feel at a loss because I feel like I don't have enough time left.

I don't have enough time left to spend with the people who have come to mean so much to me. I don't have enough time left to fully embrace this culture that was once so new and so different. I don't have enough time left to continue discovering new things about myself as I discover new things about this country (and the world). I just don't have enough time.

And even still, though I may feel like one month isn't enough time, one month is plenty of time. As I am currently struggling with the thought of having to leave here in a month, I am reminded of a similar situation I found myself in this time last year.

It was the end of April, exams were about to start, and I would be moving out of my dorm in two weeks. I was having this same conversation with my Intervarsity (a campus ministry) leader, explaining to her that two weeks was not enough time for disciple making and there was no way I could reach out to those I wanted to reach out to with only two weeks left in school. And what she told me was true then, and it is true now. “God can do so much in two weeks. He can do so much in one day. He is not limited by your limited amount of time left here, He can and will still move.”

So while I could go on and on about how a month isn't enough time left for me to be in Ghana, I am choosing to look past that, and focus on the fact that God can do so much in a month. While my time here may be limited, He is not. He can and will still move while I am here and even after I leave. He can and will still use me in so many ways, even ways I won't realize, during my last month here. It seems like a short time, in fact it is a short time when you look at it in comparison to how long I've been here, but God can still use it.

I have a month left in Ghana, and I may not be super happy about it, I may wish I could stay here longer, I may want this month to go by as slowly as possible (sorry for those of you back home, I promise I'll be back soon❤), but more than any of those feelings, I have a month left in Ghana and I'm ghana make it count.

❤ Elisha

No comments:

Post a Comment