Monday, April 11, 2016

It's Ghana Be Challenging

Wow, keeping a blog updated regularly while abroad (and in general actually) is a lot harder than it seems, so to those of you who are better at this than I am, major props to you because I'm not entirely sure how people do this lol.

In other news, it is now April and that means it's been a while since I've posted a blog (sorry!), and it also means that I will be coming home in less than 2 months which is CRAZY because it seems like I just got here. I can't believe we've passed the halfway point in the semester (although I still have not had an IA/midterm exam in some of my classes) and shortly we will be preparing for finals.

I know it's been a while since I've posted so here are a few things that have been going on:

Midterms
Like I mentioned, I've been in Ghana now for more than half of a semester, but have yet to have an IA (interim assessment, what they call midterms here) in half of my classes. The way the education system works here is probably the one thing that still continues to catch me off guard the most. Whereas I am used to knowing what to expect and when to expect it as far as class assignments, presentations, exams, etc. go, I do not have that luxury here. While it can be extremely frustrating, it also 1) makes me more grateful for the education I receive back home, and 2) makes me realize that stressing about it won't change anything in the slightest, so might as well just sit back and do my best to accept it/adjust as much as possible.

Easter
Spending Easter in a country on the other side of the world, so far away from everything I am familiar with makes me so grateful for the constancy of our God. Missing out on spending the day with my family, from enjoying dinner together to taking pictures and having Easter egg hunts, was hard, but I am thankful for the reminder that even though my Easter celebration in Ghana was different than it would have been in America, the importance of the day remained the same, even if things were done a bit different. I went to church, celebrated the death and resurrection of our Savior, and spent the day with dear friends whom God has blessed me with.

Nutrition Rehabilitation Center
A few weeks ago, one of my public health classes took a trip to a nutrition rehabilitation clinic in a children's hospital located in Accra. That was one of the most challenging days I've had here by far because although nothing was happening to me directly, just seeing the malnourished children in such a helpless state was extremely hard. Part of me was in shock while another part of me was frustrated that these are real children experiencing this, while yet another part of me wanted to hold, care for, and nourish them back to life and let them know how loved they are.

It was definitely a learning experience and it took things to a whole different level from just learning about it in class and seeing pictures of malnourished children to actually being there and seeing the desperation of the children right in front of me with my own eyes.

Kumasi

My group took an organized trip to Kumasi last weekend which was super fun! We visited the Arts and Cultural Center where we got to see how batiking (a style of printmaking on fabric) is done. We also went to a wood carving village and the kente weaving village where we got to learn how to make kente cloth. The trip ended with a visit to the largest market in West Africa which I found to be incredible but at the same time a bit overwhelming with everything that was going on and how crowded it was.




Overall Ghana is still absolutely wonderful. I'm amazed at how fast the semester is going but I guess the saying is true, time flies when you're having fun. While I do still have difficult moments and the uncomfortable and challenging times never come to an end (as you can imagine), I can rest assured that God's grace has carried me this far and He will continue to carry me throughout the rest of this journey. I mentioned it before, but His consistency in a constantly changing world and environment is something I'm learning more and more to depend on each and every day. Yes things are challenging, I wouldn't expect them not to be. But even more apparent than the challenges I face here every day is the fact that God is here, He is with me, He goes before me. When I am overwhelmed by the challenges, I can look to Him and feel at peace again. (No it's not always that easy, but regardless, that is still a statement of truth that I stand on). I am blessed beyond measure to have a God that is trustworthy and loyal so even in the midst of challenges and other difficult moments, I can come to Him, depend on Him, and continue marching forward in His strength.

I pray that no matter where you find yourself, no matter how challenging life may be for you now, no matter what difficulties you are facing, that you can do the same.

I look up to the mountains. Does my strength come from the mountains? My strength comes from God, who made Heaven and earth, and the mountains.”
-Shoulders, For King and Country

I will lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made Heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber.”
-Psalm 121:1-3

In His Grace,
Elisha

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fellow scottie and went abroad to Ghana Jan 2014. I can totally relate to your post. I miss Ghana dearly.

    ReplyDelete